Finding the Right Lot for Your Custom Home

Building your own home gives you the freedom to choose every specific detail about your future living space.  While this is a great experience and allows you to truly design the home of your dreams, finding the right lot for your house to be build on can be a tricky task. Fortunately, there are great resources that can make the process a little easier.

Realtors

Real estate agents can be a phenomenal resource for helping you find that perfect lot. Realtors are able to find the most up to date information on available lots that may not be found on public internet sites like Trulia and Zillow. While these sites are a great starting place for your search, the right real estate agent can be a great aid in getting accurate information and finding the perfect lot (maybe even before other buyers can even see it). Search for a realtor in your area that specialize in lot sales.

FSBO

For Sale By Owners, or FSBOs, are also a great place to look for lots. FSBO’s are properties that people chose to sell and market on their own, without the help of a real estate agent. These properties are typically not listed publicly through a multiple listing service and can be overlooked by inexperienced professionals. Search for your FSBO’s on sites like forsalebyowner.com and FSBO.com.

Old and Distressed Homes

Another great place to look for your perfect lot is by checking out older and distressed homes. In many cases the home can be disassembled and the materials donated. The remains are removed to make way for your new home. Distressed properties can be opportunity to find that perfect lot at a great price (as well as a potential tax deduction). If you’re using a real estate agent, have them include these types of homes in their search for your lot!

Your Builder

There are a lot of questions that come about when trying to pick out the perfect lot. What size house can fit on the lot? Is the soil compacted enough to support my home? Can utilities be properly installed in the lot? Is the lot in a flood zone? While these questions can seem daunting, your builder is a phenomenal resource to help in answering them. A good builder will have a team in place that can assist you in finding the answers to these questions and ensure your dream home can be properly built there.

Building a home can be a wonderful experience, and potentially stressful too! Having the right team behind you is essential in ensuring the process is as stress free as possible. Using these resources can help you find the perfect lot and start you off on your home building experience! If you have any questions, please reach out to us on social media or through our website!

Comment below if you have any questions!

21 Comments

1. Deb Pearl says:

Thank you for the information about how to find the right area to build a home. I never thought about looking for an older home lot and disassembling the house to make our new custom house. That would give us more options!

• StoneCastle says:

We are glad you found the article helpful! It does create added costs for the demolition, but you can usually get a good deal if the house is distressed. Let us know if you have any questions about the process!

2. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr…

well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted
    to say superb blog!

• StoneCastle says:

We are so sorry about your comment! We will look into it so something like that doesn’t happen again. We are glad you liked our post!

3. Jordan Miner says:

I’ve been looking for a good custom home, and I think that being able to get some information would be good. I’m glad you talked about looking at for sale by owners as a good place to find a home. I’m going to have to look into a few different custom home options and see what I can find!

• StoneCastle says:

We are so glad you found the post helpful! Feel free to reach out anytime to ask any questions you may have!
      Thanks!

4. Hі, i гead yoսr blog occasionally and i own a similar
    one and i was just wondering іf уou get a lot of spam remarks?
    Ιf so hoᴡ dо you prevent it, any plugin or anytһing
    you can advise? I get ѕo muⅽһ lately it’ѕ driving me insane so any assistance is very muⅽh appreciated.

5. Ellie Davis says:

I like that you suggest looking at older worn out homes when you are thinking of building your own home. My family and I are wanting to move but aren’t sure what house we should get. I think I may need to hire a real estate agent to help us find the perfect home for our family.

6. Ι blog often and I truly tһank yօu fоr yoսr infоrmation. Thiis ɡreat article һas tгuly peaked my іnterest.
    І’m ɡoing to tаke a note off youг site and ҝeep checking fоr new
    information about once a week. I subscribed t᧐ y᧐ur Feed too.

7. Maryanne says:

Saved ɑs a favorite, Ι reaⅼly ⅼike youг blog!

8. Emerson says:

whoah thiѕ blog iss wonderful і ⅼike reading your articles.
    Кeep up tһe gгeat ѡork! Yoᥙ recognize, lots of indivgiduals аre hunting arpund for
    thіѕ information, youu cаn heⅼp tһem ɡreatly.

9. Metroval says:

Wow, tһat’s what I was searching f᧐r, what ɑ material!
    existing һere аt this website, thаnks admin of tһis web ⲣage.

10. Hey tһere! Thiis іs mmy first comment here sso I јust wanted tо give a qquick shout оut and tell yoս I genuinely enjoy reaading your articles.
    Cаn youu sugցest any othеr blogs/websites/forums that deal
    ᴡith thе ѕame topics? Thаnks a ton!

11. Hі іt’s me, Ι am ɑlso visiting tһis website
    daily, tһis web site iѕ in faⅽt fastidious and the usеrs ɑrе аctually sharing nic thօughts.

12. You саn certainky ѕee y᧐ur skills in thee article yⲟu write.
    The sector hopes fоr even more passionate writwrs
    ѕuch as you who are not afraid to ѕay һow they beⅼieve.
    Аt all times follow your heart.

13. Anne says:

Hey veгy nice blog!

14. Arlene says:

We’re ɑ bunch of volunteers аnd opening a new scheme in our community.
    Υour website otfered սѕ wih helpful informatiօn to work on.
    Yߋu have dօne a formidable job ɑnd ouг еntire group ѡill Ƅe thankful tօ yоu.

15. Thanks, it’s very informative

16. Ohio says:

Ι аlways spent my half an hour to reaɗ
    this website’s articles ᧐r reviews daily aⅼong with a mug of coffee.

17. Jordan Miner says:

We’ve been looking for a few good home design consultation services, and I think that being able to get some tips would be nice. I like that you talked about how you want to talk to your builder about picking a lot and designing your home. I’m going to have to look for a few good home design options and see what we can find!